Taken from the Governing documents, sealed 21st November 1972, the Charity was formed through the amalgamation of four charities;
- The Charity known as the Lands and Possessions of the Poor of Ely, otherwise the Parsons’ Charity, regulated by a Scheme of the 18th December 1923 as varied by a Scheme of the Commissioners of the 15th December 1953.
- The Charity of Elizabeth Morley, regulated by a Scheme of the Commissioners of the 9th August 1961
- The Charity called Mrs. M. A. A. Tunkiss Trust Fund
- The Charity of Ann Bull
The charity holds Almshouses at Deacons Lane Bungalows, Bamford House and Thomas Parsons Square in Ely. It also holds land at Milking Hill Common and Cawdle Fen Washes
To qualify for an Almshouse the “almspeople shall be poor persons of good character who are not less than 60 years of age and who (except in special cases to be approved by the Commissioners) are resident in the Urban District of the City of Ely at the time of appointment.”
“The Governors shall apply income of the Charities applicable for relief in need, in relieving either generally or individually persons resident in the Urban District of the City of Ely who are in conditions of need, hardship or distress by making grants of money or providing or paying for items, services or facilities calculated to reduce the need, hardship or distress of such persons.”